Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Phone Call

I figured I probably wouldn't have much to write about until graduation, but today was definitely worth remembering!

It was 3:15 and I was sitting at my desk at work when my phone started vibrating-- Unknown number from "San Diego Area" and I thought my heart was going to fly out of my chest. I answered after the first ring and immediately started running outside knowing how terrible the cell reception is in the office. I heard Bryan say: "Dana?" right before the call dropped. By then I was outside and frantically started calling the number back over and over again each time hearing "I'm sorry, your call cannot be completed at this time" (shouldn't have been surprised it was a one-way phone). I stumbled to the picnic table, tears already forming, devastated as I realized I may have missed my chance to talk to Bryan-- AGAIN. But, then, my phone started ringing.

His voice was so hoarse it was barely recognizable, but it was still my Bryan. A couple weirdly-serious-Marine-things slipped out but then he'd immediately go back to his old, normal self. The phone call was 3.5 minutes long, most of which was spent listening to each other cry and laugh at the same time. But, even with so few words, it was the most exciting conversation I've ever had. I could HEAR him say he loves me and I could say it back! At the end of the call, a drill instructor's booming voice started barking at Bryan and Bryan responded back with lots of "Yes, sir!" "No, sir!" We exchanged one last round of "I love you's" and then that was it.

3.5 minutes is a cruel amount of time to have to talk to you husband.. Especially when you haven't heard his voice in 64 days. But it reminded me of what I'm waiting for, and how worth all of this already has been for our relationship.

I missed the chance to speak with Bryan on our 1 year wedding anniversary, but we coincidentally got to speak on the 2 year anniversary of meeting each other. We met June 25, 2010 and stayed up talking until 7am the next morning. After getting home, I called my mom from Idaho and told her about the amazing guy I had met and told her I was going to marry him one day. She laughed, but here we are 2 years later- married and going through this new, huge adventure together.

I promise the next post will be back to my working out/weight loss-- my life is pretty cheesy these days, every once in a while I just have to let out the mushy stuff!
Summer, 2010

1 comment: