Thursday, August 8, 2013

Bentley Rose

Since reading the pregnancy test back in November, I have thought and spoken about 'July 22, 2013' constantly. It's really weird having an exact day that your whole world will change forever, yet calming that you know when it will happen. So after my due date came and passed, I spent every moment holding my breath. I tried to ready myself for every possible scenario- my water breaking while shopping at the exchange, active labor kicking in while sitting in traffic on 58, not being able to get a hold of Bryan at work and having to give birth on my couch.. I got to the point where I was terrified to leave the house.

Thankfully, none of the nightmarish possibilities came to pass. It was 3:45pm July 24th when I started to get pretty uncomfortable, and after talking to a couple people and really paying attention to the discomfort, I realized I was in the early stages of labor. When contractions were coming every 8-10 minutes, I figured it was as good a time as any to pack my hospital bag. Bryan came home from work and didn't take my claims too seriously.. probably because we were lounging around and every once in a while I'd say "oh, yep. there's another one". We watched a movie, ate dinner, and went to bed. 2AM rolled around and contractions were every 5 minutes. I had a mom and mom-in-law advising me to get going to the hospital, but I was REALLY wanting to avoid showing up, being told I was being a weenie, and getting sent home. So I waited.  For.. about 10 minutes, and then I woke Bryan up and told him it was go time.

I'll spare you from having to read about the condition of my uterus upon arrival, so let's just say I was immediately checked into Labor&Delivery and given a room. I was happy my numbers stood as evidence to the staff that I was actually laboring, because I caught a fair share of eye rolls for being goofy and relaxed.


Some blood sampling, paperwork, and Lord of the Rings later, I actually started to feel some pain! Which I hear is pretty standard when you're having contractions every minute. 

--Fast forward through the failed epidural, family back in the States texting every minute for updates, and hours of pushing--
And.. this is why I force myself to blog. Because I don't want to forget that after the 24 hours of labor, 2 hours of excruciating pain, and being surrounded by doctors, nurses, IVs, and catheters, the room became silent. For about 5 minutes, I really can't recall hearing anything. It was just me, Bryan, and our tiny little baby that had just been placed in my arms.

Bentley Rose is 2 weeks old today, and I still haven't wrapped my head around the fact that she is mine. She sleeps all day and keeps me up all night, but her sweet little spirit makes it well worth being confined to the house and looking like a zombie on the daily.

Life with a newborn is definitely tiring, but Bryan and I have been loving learning how to be parents together. We don't know what we're doing, but it's been fun pretending like we do!

ANDDD in just a few days, Bentley will get to meet her Nana, Uncle J-Man, and fur sister June!! In the meantime, I'll just be spending my days soaking in the baby cuddles, and taking an embarrassing amount of pictures of my doll baby!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dana! I just got done checking out your site and just wanted to say that I loved this post. She is the most most adorable little thing! Being that you are a marine spouse, I had a quick question and was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance. Thanks! – emilywalsh688 [at] gmail [dot] com.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I am reaching out in regards to a question I have for you and the possibility of working together on something. Please email me when you get a chance! Thank you so much! trucillo(dot)mario(at)gmail(dot)com


    Mario

    ReplyDelete